Our Innovation Prize competition is a skills-based Contest open to anyone currently enrolled in an undergraduate or post-graduate education program, or who is in a postdoctoral position at an academic institution. Applicants may NOT be employed within the chemical or associated industries at the time of application, or in a position funded by a for-profit chemical entity. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. All judges and all employees of Element Solutions Inc. and its related business (all referred to here as “ESI”), and the foregoing’s immediate family members and those residing in the same household of each such individual are not eligible to enter or win.
By entering the Contest, you agree that ESI has a right of first refusal to negotiate a license to the technology but is not bound to do so. ESI’s option expires August 1, 2020.
All ideas will remain the property of the person submitting them, except in the case where the idea is publicly known or where ESI can show it was already under their consideration. Unless in the public domain, all entries are made on a confidential basis where Applicants agree to maintain the confidence until July 1, 2020.
Applicants may not have previously assigned, or be under an obligation to assign, their intellectual property rights in their idea to anyone else (employer or otherwise) anywhere in the world. All ideas must be original, free of any known restrictions due to existing patent applications or granted patents, not subject to trade secret protection by any third party, not subject to ownership by another, etc.
The proposal must fall within the field of metallic coatings, broadly defined as any process or property involved in the creation, analysis, or protection of a coating consisting of at least 75wt% of a metallic element or elements. It can be a beaker-scale project, it can be a pilot-scale production, it can be an analytical study, or it can be a conditions-of-use study. We are interested in your creativity, so don’t constrain yourself too much.
The Available Capabilities
For the purposes of the proposal, assume that you have access to the capabilities of a well-equipped industrial research organization such as at MacDermid Enthone Inc. and its affiliates (“ESI”). This means almost any scale up to 500L tanks, virtually any sort of analytical equipment, laboratory facilities, and skilled operators capable of carrying out your work (if it is of a scale large enough to require it). If the proposal is interesting, we may invite you to join us to carry out the investigation, although you are under no obligation to do so in order to collect the prize.
The Winner will receive a cash prize of USD $15,000 (or equivalent in the local currency of the award Winner), plus travel expenses to the Award Presentation. The Winner will be responsible for all associated taxes. Depending on the circumstances, ESI may wire transfer the prize money, send a check, or travel to the Winner and deliver the prize in person. The Winner will be paid no later than May 1, 2020.
Deadline for Entries
Entries will be accepted November 25, 2019 through February 21, 2020, at 17:00 US Eastern Daylight Time. No late entries allowed. Jury review begins February 24, 2020 and runs through March 20, 2020.
You may submit multiple proposals, although we encourage participants to emphasize quality over quantity when thinking about multiple ideas.
The Winner will be notified via email between March 23, 2020, and April 3, 2020. The Winner will be required to confirm their eligibility and consent to ESI’s use of their personal information as described in the additional Rules section. A public announcement will be made April 6, 2020, by way of a notice on the ESI website. If ESI is unable to reach the Winner by April 3, 2020, or the Winner cannot be confirmed eligible, ESI reserves the right to select an alternative winner. In such a case, an announcement will be made as soon as practicable.
- This Contest is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. There is NO PURCHASE necessary to win. By entering this Contest, you agree that you have read and understood the Rules, and that you agree to be bound by them. Your action to enter and abide by the rules of the Contest form a legally binding contract. Further, the decisions of ESI in all matters relating to the Contest are final and binding.
- All deadlines are governed by ESI’s clock. ESI is not responsible for any delays in transmission, errors, or technical malfunctions, of any kind.
- A single entry may be made by multiple contributors, however, only one person may enter on behalf of the entire group. In this circumstance each person will be subject to all the rules herein, especially those of an Applicant, and should one person become disqualified for any reason, it may result in the entire group being disqualified. If the group is the winning proposal, ESI will award the cash prize, awards event invitation, and travel expenses only to the person who entered the Contest on the group’s behalf.
- After being notified of winning, the Winner will be required to provide a signed confirmation of enrollment from their school’s admissions office. The letter will need to confirm the Applicant’s enrollment as of the date of entry and be provided on the school’s letterhead. The Winner will also be required to sign a document, including (i) attesting to their conformance with the Rules, (ii) releasing ESI of any and all liability associated with the Applicant’s participation in the Contest, and (iii) granting ESI permission to use the his/her name, biographical information (including city and state of residence), submission title, and other identifying matter (such as photographs, broadcasts, and displays) for any purpose by ESI and its related entities in perpetuity, and without additional compensation to the Winner. Lacking either of these items (school letter or signed document), Applicant’s entry will become void.
- Each Applicant represents and warrants:
(a) their submission is his/her own original work and that he/she owns all rights and title to the submission,
(b) the Applicant has no reason to believe or suspect their submission infringes the rights of any other person, company, or legally recognized entity (including but not limited to infringement of intellectual property rights, privacy or publicity rights, moral rights, and contractual rights),
(c) their submission has not won previous contests or awards.
- Each Applicant agrees to indemnify and hold ESI and its respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, members or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against them or the Indemnitees due to or in any way arising out of the use of Applicant’s submission, including but not limited to claims for idea misappropriation, copyright infringement, trade secret or confidentiality violation, violation of right of publicity or right of privacy, defamation, or breach of contract.)
- ESI reserves the right to verify the eligibility and compliance with these rules, and to request additional information from any Applicant in so doing. ESI reserves the right to void an entry in its sole discretion, at any time without notice if an entry is or strongly appears to be non-compliant. ESI reserves the right to terminate this Contest if there are no compliant entries received whatsoever.
- BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, APPLICANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY APPLICANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD (AND APPLICANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK ANY AWARD) FOR PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) APPLICANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND APPLICANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF.
- The Applicant agrees all issues and questions concerning this Contest or the rights and obligations of the parties shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales, UK, and all matters shall be adjudicated in a court of competent jurisdiction in London, UK.
- The Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring their participation is compliant with all applicable foreign, federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations, including U.S. Export Administration laws and regulations and other similar national laws. No law of conflicts or choice of law shall supersede this provision.